Sunday, July 25, 2010

The Arrival of Abram Michael Peevy

This is the last picture of me pregnant taken on Monday evening July 12th at the hospital. Looks like an 8 lb. belly to me right? So here's my labor story of how Abe arrived...

I went to the doctor on Monday morning July 12th to be checked and I was still at 1 cm dilated and 70% effaced which is what I was the week before. So my doctor decided that we should spend the night in the hospital on Monday night so I could take medicine called Cytotec to get my cervix ready for pitocin on Tuesday morning. He didn't want me to have a long labor on Tuesday since it didn't appear that I was making progress.

So, Chris and I arrived at the hospital around 6:00 p.m. We got checked in and comfortable in our beautiful Labor and Delivery Suite. Check out the pictures above of our room- it was huge!

Next, the nurse hooked me up to a fetal heartrate monitor and we listened to Abe's heartbeat for about an hour- it was perfect! Since he was doing good they gave me the first pill of my medicine at 8:00. I was to take it every 4 hours overnight to get ready for labor. After the 8:00 pill, Chris and I ate Chick-fil-a and watched The Closer. I was making phone calls and facebooking- I felt nothing. At about 10:00 p.m., the nurse came in and asked me if I'd like something to help me sleep so I'd be ready for my hardwork the next day so I said okay. I took an Ambien- needless to say I don't take sleeping pills so it knocked me out pretty good.

At midnight, the nurse came in again and gave me the second pill of Cytotec, I don't really remember her even waking me up.

At 2 am, the action started. I woke up with some pains (which turned out to be contractions) and I was wet! My water had broken and continued to pour out on my way to the bathroom. I thought I had lost control of my bladder due to the sleeping pill- but it was amniotic fluid! Chris immediately called the nurse and she came in to inform me I was officially "in active labor." She said that I probably still had many hours ahead of me but wanted to check my cervix and call my doctor with an update. Well, to everyone's surprise I was dilated to 4 cm already!

At this point, my pains (contractions :)) started coming every 2 to 3 minutes. They were very effective too because by 4 am I was dilated to 8 cm! Somewhere between there I got my epidural but I don't really remember much as I was still pretty sleepy from my Ambien!

Chris tried to call everyone to get to the hospital in time but only his parents, my mom, my sister, my aunt, and his sister made it. Everyone else was still in bed or on the way!

By 5:30 it was time to start pushing...and I had an amazing nurse, Cindy, who was a God-send. She told me exactly how to push and what to do different each time. I don't think my epidural had fully kicked in which was great because I could feel exactly what to do and when to push. I pushed for about 15 minutes before Dr. Bailey arrived and then it was like 3 pushes and Abe was here!

Abram Michael Peevy was born at 6:21 a.m. on Tuesday July 13th, 2010. He came out screaming! He weighed exactly 8 lbs. and was 20 inches long. Chris and I have never seen anything more perfect!

By the way- Dad (Chris) was amazing! He didn't pass out or even throw up. He even held one of my legs and coached me- he was so supportive!

So I only labored a total of 4 hours and it was great! If it's that easy every time, I'd love to do it again. That's up to God!

Chris and I still can't believe when we look at our little boy that he's really here. We've had this dream of him for so many years and now he's finally here. God is so amazingly faithful and I can't believe we've been given this responsibility and opportunity to raise a human life. We are praying that we always apply God's wisdom to our parenting and that Abe comes to know Jesus at an early age. We know God has a mighty plan for his life and we can't wait to watch it unfold.

Let the adventure begin!

1 comment:

  1. what a beautiful and perfect {and quick!} ending to your journey of becoming a mom. love it!



About Me

My photo
I am a second grade teacher at Chestnut Mountain Elementary School. I live with my husband, Chris, and our Pug, Scout, in Jefferson, GA. We are members of The Church at Southside where my husband leads worship. We are very excited to be adding to our family in July...we are expecting a son. His name will be Abram Michael and we couldn't be more blessed. We love the Lord and one another and I guess that's really all that counts. May God bless you!